Check Out the GridIron BlogRSS
Here at Gridiron Belles, we don’t claim to be gourmet chefs so we’ve collected three of our easiest game day snacks (mostly from Pinterest) to inspire you. We kept them simple because, well, we like simple recipes that make us look good and taste even better. These are all self-explanatory– just make them look like a football!
You also need to know the background on The Big Game to stay relevant in game time and post game day conversations about commercials, quarterbacks (and so much more). We were going to tell you everything we know about football (which is a lot), but our friends at theSkimm, aren’t busy writing a second book like we are and they went ahead and provided a run down as well as any Gridiron Belle could. So we are sharing that with YOU. (see below and link above) They really did a great job.
Remember, know enough about the game to chat about it with all other guests– just not during the game– or, wait, yes, you’re better off chatting during the game on Sunday than the highly anticipated commercials.
Xs and Os,
THE STORY: Are you ready for some football?! Yes or no, Super Bowl XLVIII is here.
HANG ON, DOING MATH. It’s number 48. There is one Manning, two teams, and lots of parties. And someone will get a ring at the end of the night. It’s still not you.
WHEN IS IT? Sunday after brunch. 6:30 ET. Watch it on Fox. Or if you prefer your computer to a bar, it’s live streaming on Fox’s sports app.
WHO’S GOING? The Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos. And Richard Sherman’s ego (see below). Yup, the only two states who have legalized recreational use of marijuana are in the Super Bowl.
DOES THE WINNER GET SOMETHING GOOD? Rings and a parade. The MVP usually takes a trip to Disney World. So basically your eight-year-old self would be the happiest person ever. If the Broncos win, Mike Adams will walk to his hometown of Paterson, NJ, wearing his helmet and pads, because growing up people told him he’d never get out.
WHERE IS IT? New York City — just kidding. Although Times Square did become Super Bowl Boulevard, the game is actually in East Rutherford, NJ. Nope, the Northeast still doesn’t get warm in February. And yes, it’s vortexing. But apparently there is such a thing as Football Gods, because the low is only expected to be a balmy 28 degrees.
SOMEONE TOLD ME IT’S IN OMAHA? No. But you will hear that a lot because Peyton Manning likes to call it during games to keep the defense guessing. And us. Don’t ask questions.
DO I KNOW ANYONE GOING? We just told you– a Manning. The Peytonone. He is the Broncos QB1 and coming off one of the best seasons in NFL history. He’s 37 which means he’s an elder in football years. And has had four neck surgeries. Ouch.
WHO’S THE GUY EVERYONE KEEPS TALKING ABOUT? Richard Sherman. He made headlines two weeks ago for his post-game interview, during which he had a lot of things to say about opponent Michael Crabtree. Love him or hate him, he’s very impressive– he’s from Compton and made it to Stanford. Then was a 5th round NFL pick. Now, he’s the best cornerback in the league — just ask him… and Beats.
IS IT HALF TIME YET? The Peyton Manning of opera– Renee Fleming– will perform the national anthem and bring some class to your nachos and beer. Bruno Mars, and not Bruce Springsteen, has the Pepsi Halftime Show honor. The Red Hot Chili Peppers will join him. We miss last year. #BringBackBey
PROMISE NO MATH? Surprise. Four quarters. Touchdown: 6; Field goal: 3; Safety: 2; Extra point: come on…
CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE ADS YET? Ad Bowl is back. Scarlett Johanssontook things too far for SodaStream by dissing Pepsi and Coke, so Fox reportedly banned her commercial. For that, and not the suggestive straw sucking. This year, Anna Kendrick is “beer girl hot.” Budweiser has one with a Clydesdale and a puppy because they know how to get to us. Chobani will debut its first ad run with the big boys. But Dannon may win Yogurt Bowl because they’re reuniting “Full House” — and Uncle Jesse already brought back his mullet.
WHAT’S IN THIS FOR ME? Food. And potentially cash money. The simplest way is to bet on the “money line” — AKA who wins or loses. Or you can bet on what the spread will be (see below). If you want to get fancy, there are LOTS of other things you can bet on. These are called “prop bets.” Skimm HQ is betting taking out the trash on how many times the word ‘legacy’ will be said about Peyton.
WHAT’S THE SPREAD? No, not talking about your crudite. It refers to the expected spread between the team’s final scores. Vegas favors the Broncos by 3.
I didn’t like this week’s posts either. My most sincere apologies for bland posts. For one, I’m over the dips–Sorry, Momo. And I’m certainly over the Super Bowl.
It was a down blog week thanks to all of the other great things going on here at Gridiron Belles HQ! (More about that later. Just know that I am going on an official visit to Mizzou on Monday and Tuesday!)
This week, I pretended that Gridiron Belles needed to care deeply about the Super Bowl. We just don’t. At least not nearly as much as we needed to be reviewing notes from national signing day. (Saturday Down South Recap)
Alas, no Gridiron Belle should attend a watch party without knowing a little bit about the game on the big screen. The basics still apply: Do your research on ESPN.com, follow sports enthusiast on twitter and remember that the Super Bowl is always more about the food, commercials and never-a-dull-moment-half time show!
Quick Facts Before Sunday:
- This is Super Bowl XLVI (46)
- Kick off is at 6:29pm EST
- The game is being played in Indianapolis, IN
- The two teams playing are the New York Giants and the New England Patriots
- These two teams also played in 2008 when the Giants upset the Patriots’ perfect season
- Eli Manning is the QB for the New York Giants. Eli is often referred to as “Little Brother” because his big brother is Peyton Manning… who has just been cleared to play after a season ending neck injury.
- Ole Miss is Eli Mannings alma-matter. And his father’s, Archie Manning.
- Gisel’s husband is the QB for the Patriots . He is often referred to as Tom Brady.
- Brady’s better half on the field, Rob Gronkoski (TE), had a sprained ankle… according to Patriots coach, Bill Belichick (the guy on the sideline always wearing an inappropriately casual hooded sweatshirt), Gronkoski is OK to play. He thinks.
- Madonna is performing the half time show. Apparently at one point she sits bedazzled on a thrown. The article also says the Ceelo Green is involved with his own bedazzeling. I’m going to probably watch while standing up so I can leave the room without much effort when I get embarrassed for the duo.
- Standard watch game etiquette applies: Don’t show up empty handed, be social- but not at the cost of running the game for others, send your host a thank you note!
- Rule Change: During this game, pour your drinks, fill your plates and use the restroom during the game. You know all anyone talks about on Monday is the commercials!
Enjoy the last football game for a looong time!
Xs and Os,